Our History and Mission
Our mission is to provide superior financial service with honesty, professionalism and confidentiality, while promoting economic growth and stability in the communities we serve.
In fulfilling our mission, our goals will be to:
- Exceed our customers’ expectations.
- Serve our community by contributing our talents and leadership involvement.
- Nurture a staff that is friendly, respectful and knowledgeable, as well as maintain an enjoyable work environment for them to thrive and grow.
- Maintain a healthy, growing profitable institution.
The bank began in May of 1888 when five shareholders – A. A. Kendall, W. A. Wilson, Ed McCormick, Husted Agar and T. F. McCarty – incorporated Citizens National Bank. The bank officially opened its door on July 5, 1888. In 1911, it became Citizens State Bank, then in 1930 the bank converted to Citizens National Bank. The Citizens Bank has always been located where we are today, at the corner of 7th Street and Howard Avenue. The two story building was torn down and a new building was constructed in 1957. While the building was under construction, banking operations were conducted in the showroom of Jarecke Motors. By 1975 the Citizens Bank had torn down the old Howard County Herald building to the west and added on to the building. The drive up teller window was added at that time. The bank converted back to a state bank in 1980 and has been known as Citizens Bank & Trust Co. ever since. In 1983, the buildings housing Harvey’s Penny Store and Dean Armstrong’s law office were torn down to make room for expansion. This is the current building as it stands today.
Citizens Bank in Loup City first opened its doors in 2000 as a Loan Production Office of Citizens Bank & Trust Co. in St. Paul. It was located at 133 S 7th Street. On January 28, 2002 the bank opened as a nationally chartered, full service bank, under the name Citizens National Bank. Shortly after opening as a full service bank the bank began planning the construction of its new location. The employees moved into the current location on December 20, 2004. Citizens National Bank was converted to a Nebraska state bank in May of 2006, and the word National was removed from the bank name. In December 2009, Citizens Bank merged with its sister bank Citizens Bank & Trust Co. in St. Paul.
Central Bank was the first new bank in Central City since the bank holiday in 1933. Located in the former Hord Grain Company building on 16th Street, the new bank was the culmination of over a year’s work of planning and preparation by many Central City area residents. As with most institutions, the names of stockholders and officers of Central Bank have changed over the 54 years of operation. Ervin E. Hesselgesser was an original director and officer, and throughout his lifetime, his wife Janice L. Hesselgesser and sons, Van L. Hesselgesser and Joe L. Hesselgesser joined him in the banking business. In 2009, the family sold Central Bank to Carl & Karen Brasee, and now operates as Citizens Bank & Trust Co. providing Central City and surrounding communities with their banking needs.